UW-Whitewater Midwest High School Pitch Competition
Powered by Geneva Supply/Biz Tank
Wednesday, February 26th, 2019.
Win 1 Year's Free Tuition at UW-Whitewater!*
The UW-Whitewater Midwest High School Pitch Competition is a startup pitch competition event for high school students based in Wisconsin and Illinois. The purpose of the event is to help foster creativity, innovation and a solution-orientation within high school students and provide them the practical skills of business model development and professional presentation skills. This exciting and educational event is managed by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and will be hosted at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater. Finalists will win cash prizes including first place which will is one year of free tuition (in-state) to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater! This competition is generously sponsored by Geneva Supply.
Stage One – Online Application
Due Date: FRIDAY - JANUARY 17th, 2019
Stage One involves a submission of an online application that provides an overview of your business model.
You will be judged on the following criteria:
1) Startup Idea and Value Proposition
2) Significance of Problem Solved
3) Your Startup Solution Itself & Competitive Advantage
4) Revenue Model and Startup Viability
Complete your application here on Google Forms no later than January 17th, 2018 at 11:59pm CST.
Entrants will be notified if they have reached stage two by January 24th, 2019 at 5:00pm CST.
Stage Two – MIDWEST HIGH SCHOOL PITCH COMPETITION EVENT - Wednesday - February 26, 2019
Venue: The actual Midwest High School Pitch Competition event will be held on Wednesday, February 26th from 1pm-4pm at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Hyland Hall in the Timmerman Auditorium (1st Floor). Please note that even non-finalists are invited to attend the event.
*** Everyone that attends must RSVP. Seating is limited. RSVPs must be received by TBD. RSVP here ***
Pitch Competition Details.
Pitch competitions will be made by up to the top 6 contestants. Contestants can be individuals or teams of up to 3 people.
You will receive 6 minutes to pitch in-front of judges (will include entrepreneurs, angel investors and other business professionals) and up to 5 minutes to address questions from the judges.
Presentation slides will be sent in PowerPoint format no later than February 21st at 5pm. Email slides to Dave Gee: email@example.com. The slides will be loaded onto a desktop computer by us that will be connected to a projector. Please also have a backup of the slides on a thumb drive.
Presentation must include the following slides:
How it works
Call to action
Up to 3 students can pitch.
Business attire is required.
1st Place: One Year Free Tuition(In-State) to the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater*
2nd Place: $500
3rd Place: $250
4th Place: $100
5th Place: Amazon Echo
6th & 7th Place: $50 Best Buy Gift Card
Prizes are awarded on a per pitch basis. Example: If a team of two people were to win second place the team would receive would receive $500 NOT each individual. See below for details on the tuition payment.
If student advisors/teachers have questions please contact Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization faculty advisor Dave Gee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are example pitches from UW-Whitewater Students in the Warhawk Business Plan Competition. Review for examples of pitches.
* One year free tuition details: One year free tuition is for the current cost of in-state tuition (which is currently $7,650). The free tuition will be paid in the form of a scholarship. Out-of-state residents will receive the same $7,650 scholarship as in-state residents. Free tuition is only available to students enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and will be paid in two equal payments during the 1st and 2nd semesters of the winner's Freshman year. If the 1st Place winner is not going to be attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater then the free tuition will be made available to the 2nd Place winner and so forth until the applicable winner(who is attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater) is determined. In this event, the prizes will then roll upward. Example: If the 1st place winner decides to attend a different university and the 2nd place winner decides to attend the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, then the 1st Place winner would receive the $500 and the 2nd Place winner would receive the one year free tuition. If first place is won by a team of two people that are both attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater then the free tuition prize of $7,650 will be split equally into amounts of $3,825. If one of the first place winners is attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater then the attending student will receive $3,825 and the remaining $3,825 will be made available to the 2nd place winner and so forth until the applicable winner (who is attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater). If none of the winners will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater then the $7,650 will be provided in scholarships to other high school students pursuing a degree in entrepreneurship at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Criteria will be determined by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater CEO Chapter Advisors: William Dougan and David Gee.