2018 Annual Midwest High School Pitch Competition - April 4, 2018
The Midwest High School Pitch Competition is a startup pitch competition event for high school students based in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois. The purpose of the event is to help foster an entrepreneurial mindset within high school students and provide them the practical skills of business model development and professional presentation skills. This is provided by the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and will be hosted at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater.
Stage One – Online Application
Due Date February 28th at 11:59pm CST
Stage One involves a submission of an online application that provides an overview of your business model.
You will be judged on the following criteria
1) Startup Idea
2) Target Market and Associated Problem
3) Your Startup Solution
4) Revenue Model and Viability
Complete your application here no later than February 28th at 11:59pm CST.
Entrants will be notified if they have reached stage two by March 14th.
Stage Two – MIDWEST HIGH SCHOOL PITCH COMPETITION EVENT
Venue: The actual Midwest High School Pitch Competition event will be held on Wednesday, April 4th from 4pm-5pm at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Hyland Hall in the Timmerman Auditorium (1st Floor). Please note that even non-finalists are invited to attend the event.
*** Everyone that attends must RSVP. Seating is limited. RSVPs must be received by March 21. RSVP here ***
Pitch Competition Details.
- Pitch competitions will be made by up to the top 6 contestants.
- You will receive 6 minutes to pitch in-front of judges (will include entrepreneurs, angel investors and other business professionals) and up to 5 minutes to address questions from the judges.
- Presentation slides will be sent in PowerPoint format no later than April 1st. Slides will be loaded onto a laptop computer that will be connected to a projector.
- Presentation must include the following:
- Target Market
- How it works
- Call to action
- Up to 3 students can pitch.
- Business attire is required.
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $250
- 3rd Place: $100
THE WARHAWK BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION
All high school students and advisors are invited to attend the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater Warhawk Business Plan Competition immediately following the Midwest High School Pitch Competition. High school students will have the opportunity to meet student entrepreneurs at their booths and learn from experiencing University of Wisconsin - Whitewater student entrepreneurs. Free hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be provided. This event will take place from 5:30pm-7pm.
* University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization faculty advisors may admit applicants to the Midwest High School Pitch Competition at their discretion after posted deadlines.
If student advisors/teachers have questions please contact Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization faculty advisor Dave Gee at email@example.com.
Below are example pitches from UW-Whitewater Students in the Warhawk Business Plan Competition. Review for examples of pitches.